Cinnamon Swirl Bread
A light, fluffy and moist bread with swirls of cinnamon.
Prep Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, salted
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3-3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins and/or walnuts, optional
- 1 egg and milk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Heat the milk in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter into it without boiling, remove from heat and let cool until it is luke warm
- Mix in the yeast and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix the eggs and sugar in a large bowl.
- Mix in the milk.
- Mix the flour and salt and beat half of it into the milk mixture until combined.
- Beat in the remaining flour until combined.
- Knead the dough until smooth, adding more flour if it is too sticky.
- Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let it rise until it has doubled in size, about 2 hours. (Tip: Warm the bowl first by filling it with hot water and drying it out just before use.)
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it out so that it is as wide as your baking pan and about 18 to 24 inches long.
- Spread the butter over the dough.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle it over the dough.
- Roll the dough up into a log.
- Place the dough into a grease loaf pan, cover and let it rise until it has doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Mix the egg and milk and brush it over the top of the loaf.